Tight game for the Brockbank Graves semifinal in stunning conditions.

The day started off with a full cooked breakfast from Whaea Erin and the school for the boys with the kick off time off 11am we wanted to make sure they were feed properly. 

1st XV Boys Cooked Breakfast — Image by: Sport Dept.

The conditions could not have been better for a game of rugby, John Sturgeon Park in fantastic condition and blue sky for an exciting semifinal.

WHAT A THRILLER! This game really could have gone either way today, both teams working extremely hard on the field and showcasing some excellent rugby ability.

Thank you to head referee Jamie Rodges and AR’s Will England and Andrew Robb for officiating this tight encounter, really appreciate you volunteering your time for the teams.

PHOTOGRAPHERS – Thank you for being on hand to capture the action!


Early in the game Greymouth HS was playing the territory game and it paying off well for the boys putting pressure on Darfield HS backline within the first 15 minutes of the half. GHS were rewarded from this sustained pressure and forced a penalty from Darfield right in from to the posts and Griffin Thomas did not miss the opening opportunity for points on the board.

Dom Moles at #13 was threatening with many impressive runs finding himself on the wing and keeping Darfield on their toes!

Unfortunately we picked up a yellow card from a high tackle after both teams were already warned from the referee to keep things low and we were down to 14 players for the next 10 minutes.

Darfield got close to the line with the overlap but some excellent defence caused the ball to be lost over the try line, scrum to Greymouth and an excellent clearance at the back took the pressure off the team.

Darfield gained an important penalty from Greymouth just being too eager and entered the ruck from the side. A fantastic attempted from just inside the 30m mark but it just shied away leaving the score at 3-0 to GHS. Some fantastic defence from GHS meant they didn’t concede any points while down to 14 players.

After more time with the ball Greymouth caught Darfield offside and put ourselves into a kickable penalty position again, but just asking wee bit too much for Thomas who could not extend the lead going into the break.

HALF TIME: Greymouth HS 3 – 0 Darfield HS


Substitutions at the half time break saw James Crooks come on for Wil van der Geest having reshuffle with Crooks going into the centre spot. Joel McKay also getting a breather and Brodie Luff coming on into the lock position. Crooks made immediate impact having breaks through the middle with fancy feet easily stepping through the defence.

Moles also was substituted not too long into the second half feeling unwell and young U15s player Harvey Tacon made his first appearance in the senior team tacking onto the scrum and Josh Cooper moved into the backline.

Darfield held onto ball well early in the second half putting a mammoth amount of pressure on Greymouth within our 22. Some fantastic team defence close to the line forced Darfield to loose the ball in the tackle and we were on the defensive scrum at our 5m mark. A solid scrum gave a good base for the backs to take the pressure off, and Crooks again giving excellent impact off the bench to have an exciting run through the Darfield defence up to the 30m mark. However, solid defence from Darfield again caused the turnover at the breakdown putting us on the defensive again.

HUGE defence with individual efforts from Derek Chizuni, Lochie Rose and Jak Partridge stopped at least four try scoring opportunities from using their strength to hold them up as they cross the line, just outstanding defence!

After awesome pressure from Darfield HS for the last 10mins they swing the ball wide and go in at the corner for the first try of the game. Excellent kick from the sideline to add the important extras.

Fresh legs in the forward pack saw birthday boy Fa Masula make way for Noah Jacobs.

A lot of back and forth with both teams for the remainder of the game making some excellent runs but turning it over at the breakdown after a few phases. Both teams couldn’t get too much going after that try, with back and forth still going on and ball retention becoming an issue.

FINAL SCORE: Greymouth HS 3 – 7 Darfield HS

NEXT GAME: Greymouth HS vs Rolleston HS, Wednesday 2nd June – 3rd/4th playoff, John Sturgeon Park. Kick off 12pm